Filing A Burst Pipe Claim

Filing A Burst Pipe Claim

| January 07, 2021

It's Cold Outside 

As temperatures plummet, it is more important than ever to take care of exposed pipes inside and outside your home

With water freezing at 32 degrees Fahrenheit, taking the time to add a bit of insultation on the outside faucets and piping will help protect them from freezing and potentially bursting.  After all the pipes and faucets are protected outside, then start on the pipes inside.  Even wrapping piping with newspaper works, and is an inexpensive insulator.  

Depending what area of the country you reside, depends on the level of insulation needed on the inside piping.  With those located in a milder winter area, the most common time to be mindful of the interior piping is if the weather outside falls below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. In the southern state, it is not uncommon to leave a faucet dripping and to open up the cabinet doors under a sink, allowing heat to reach the unprotected pipes.  While this is a common practice, it does not guarantee a pipe will not burst.  

If an interior pipe does burst, there could be potential damage to walls, flooring, and potentially, even furniture depending on where the pipe is located inside your home. 

Pipe Burst, Now What

Follow these 6 steps to determine if and when to contact your insurance claims department. 

  1. First and foremost, turn off the water in the area where the pipe burst, to prevent further damage.
  2. Take a photograph if possible, to show the damaged area.  This will be helpful for the claims adjuster.  
  3. Gather towels and a mop to help soak up the excess water as quickly as possible.
  4. Run a floor fan or ceiling fans to help dry out the area and avoid prolonged water exposure.  
  5. Do not turn the water back on. 
  6. Contact your insurance agent or insurance claims department as soon as possible.  

We Are Here To Help

Notifying your insurance agent of damage from a burst pipe due to freezing temperatures can be beneficial, prior to contacting the claims department.  Your insurance agent can discuss your policy coverage with you, and help you contact the claims department.