National Police Week came about in 1962 when President Kennedy signed a proclamation which designated May 15th as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week that follows as Police Week.
6 ways you can thank a police officer:
- Wear blue clothing in support of law enforcement
- Send a card of support to your local police department or agency.
- Participate in Project Blue Light – by proudly displaying blue balloons in support of law enforcement
- Make a donation to a local organization that assists injured police officers or a police officer memorial.
- If you see a police officer while you are out to lunch or picking up coffee, pay for their order.
- Share a story about a positive law enforcement experience on social media.
Law enforcement puts their life on the line every day for the safety of our communities and highways.
Let’s all say “Thank You” this week and every day for their service and dedication.