Identity theft occurs when someone obtains personal information from another person and uses it for their potential gain. Most insurance companies have identity theft protection available for purchase to help you restore your identity, if you are a victim of identity theft. It is a time consuming activity and can cause emotional and financial strain. How can you protect yourself?
Here are 10 ways to help protect yourself:
- Save your receipts and reconcile them against your financial institution statements, then shred them.
- Do not provide your social security number to callers or persons who come to your door impersonating a business or organization.
- Place outgoing mail at your local post office or in a secured mail collection box.
- Keep a record of your creditors contact information and your account numbers, to call them immediately if you notice unapproved activity.
- Do not have your driver’s license or social security number printed on personal or business checks.
- If you bank online, have a virus protection program with identity protection features that are part of the software package.
- When out of town, have a trusted friend or relative pick up your mail.
- Place your credit cards in RFTD Card Protectors or RFTD wallets.
- Limit the amount of personal information you share over the Internet.
- Use a shredder to destroy pre-approved credit card offers and bank statements.
These are only a few ways to protect yourself.
Contact Consultative Insurance Group to learn about identity theft protection today!
Consultative Insurance Group | 1-800-886-0305